Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Amortentia

So this morning coming back from pilates (yeah, I get up at 5:30 am to go to a 6:00 am pilates class. No I don't know what the hell is wrong with me) my mom and I stopped at the bakery to pick up some bread because we'd run out of it yesterday and we would be needing some for breakfast. The place smelled heavenly. The bread was warm and just out of the oven. Freshly baked bread is one of the best smells in the world. For some reason, that got me thinking about what my favorite smells were and that led to me remembering Amortentia (a love potion) from Harry Potter and The Half-Blood Prince.

Here's the definition from Wikipedia:

"Amortentia is also known as a love potion and it gives the drinker a powerful obsession and infatuation with the giver of the potion. It is usually either forced upon someone or covertly given. It should be forewarned that the longer the potion awaits consumption, the stronger the effects will be, as seen in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince when Ron mistakenly eats a box of Chocolate Cauldrons spiked with the intense love potion intended for Harry. The potion's aroma is unique to each person who consumes it, as it smells like whatever attracts each individual. It is the most powerful aphrodisiac of all. It can also be identified by its characteristic spirals of steam and its mother-of-pearl sheen."

As the definition clearly explains, Amortentia's aroma is supposed to be unique to each person, so it got me thinking what it would smell like for me. I decided it would smell like freshly baked bread, new books, grass, mint, and grapefruit.

What would it smell like for you? I'm curious!

3 comments:

  1. There are many smells that I love... I share your love of the aroma of fresh bread, and I've always contended that grapefruit is the sexiest of scents. I love the smell of old books better than new! Garlic and onions frying in olive oil is one of my favorite smells, but I don't know if it suggests anything amorous to me. I also love the smell of freshly cut wood, especially pine.

    I love how in-universe that Wikipedia quote is! I think they generally try to discourage that...

    ReplyDelete
  2. no wonder you skipped around all amorous and googly-eyed this spring. Bread baking in the oven, fresh cut grass, citrus in the fruit bowl, books strewn around the living room, mint and mojitos, and freshly-cut log-furniture on the porch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ben & Jerry's scoop shops, baking banana bread, the fresh scent of puppy, apple blossoms in spring, grass on rabbit's fur (weird i know), christmas tree in the house the morning after we put it up and new books!

    ReplyDelete