Sunday, January 30, 2011

Restaurant Review #1: La Bricola

So I realized that I sort of do a few restaurant reviews here and while I usually do some big compiliations or lists of restaurants I eat at while I travel, I also want to make a sort of Restaurant Review of restaurants I just want to comment on so I started this new kind of post. So here's the first post!

Restaurant Name: La Bricola
Location: Vía Láctea, Cumbayá, Quito, Ecuador
Kind of Food: Italian
Price Range: $15-$20 per person

What I ordered: Eggplant Parmesan (Appetizer), Scallops in garlic sauce (Appetizer), Gnocchi Napoleteana (Main Course), Verdiccio (white wine).

Comments: My parents and I wandered into this place on a Saturday afternoon at around 2:15-ish hoping to catch a late lunch and having avoided the main weekend rush. No such luck. The place was still pretty full. We had to wait around for 10-15 minutes to get a table for 3 though so it wasn't that bad. Once we were seated, the service was pretty good. Better than in most places, in fact. Our waiter was friendly and attentive. Although I will say that he got our orders mixed up twice (not that he brought us the wrong thing, he just had to pause and ask what each of us had ordered - a no-no if you're an experienced waiter, excusable if you're new to the job*) but that was ok. The eggplant parm was really really good and so were the scallops. The main courses were too big though (at least for me). I took half of my gnocchi home. The wine was good too. The only complaint I might have about this otherwise pretty solid establishment is the fact that I think they over-garlic things a bit. Or maybe we just ordered too many things with lots of garlic...They seem like a family-friendly place in general with a playground outside and a straightforward and uncomplicated menu that offers something for everyone (from cheese pizza for picky kids to more gourmet-italian dishes like salmon carpaccio for picky adults). Overall, a good experience I think - and the best Italian food I've had in Quito.



*I've worked as a waitress at a gourmet restaurant before, so I know what the job demands, how hard it is, and what is expected of you. I'm usually not too hard on the wait staff when reviewing a restaurant if they did their job, but there are some things that are a real big no-no. Like forgetting who ordered what in a table for 3 (I can understand if you have a party of 8 or something).

0 comments:

Post a Comment