Thursday, September 2, 2010

What the hell is a Melon Berry?

So I've been milling about several airports today (read: I spent an awful 6 hours killing time at Miami-Dade International Airport...my favorite airport in the world! NOT.) and so I spent a lot of time browsing magazines and deciding whether or not getting candy was a good idea. This made me come across with some candy flavors that aren't real fruits at all.
Can someone explain to me what the hell a melon berry is and what it is doing in the Skittles Very Berry pack? Oh nevermind. I googled it. It turns out it is a kind of Mullberry. However, the flavor from the Skittles pack tastes like actual melon, which leads me to believe that the people who make Skittles are making fruits up. Or think melons are berries.
Other two flavors that peeved me (and usually do):
(1) Blue raspberry - again, what on Earth is a BLUE RASPBERRY??? I'm sure that it's one of those things when it is actually just raspberry-flavored but they ran out of colors because berries are all the same color more or less so they decided to make raspberry blue...but why not make it blue and just say it is raspberry? A raspberry's true color is closer to blue than
(2) Pineapple Passionfruit Skittles that are BLUE. What the hell? Neither Pineapple nor Passionfruit are BLUE. I would not eat a blue pineapple or passionfruit. If a pineapple or passionfruit is blue, it is probably overrun by bacteria and thus should not be consumed. Just my two cents on that one.
Anywhoo, had to rant about that one. Weird flavors like that get on my nerves. Shrimp-flavored chips in China I can accept. I can even accept the even more bizarre lychee-flavored chips (why you would want a potato to taste like lychee is beyond me but whatever), but making fruits up is a whole other set of weirdness.

0 comments:

Post a Comment