Monday, November 22, 2010

Missing College

Today I miss college. Not the work. I don't miss the work at all. But I miss being able to stroll about the beautiful campus when I needed some alone time or just some time to appreciate the beauty of the place. I miss curling up with a cup of tea on our blue couch in my senior house, watching the gray sky outside, waiting for the casserole I'd made for dinner to finish cooking. I miss riding my white and blue bike around campus with big red (my cello) strapped firmly to my back going to orchestra rehearsal. I miss orchestra. I miss coming home to see M and J and S listening to The Bugle over a glass of wine while N plays his guitar somewhere in the house. I miss the snow and the cold. I miss snuggling on the couch. I miss the late-night thesis parties with M and N - parties that started with us drinking tea and then coffee and then wine. I miss J's poached eggs in the morning over freshly toasted english muffins smothered in butter. I miss N's perfect eggs sunny side up without the broken yolk. I miss N's grits. I don't miss the grits sticking to the pan. I miss seeing the toddlers from the Infant-toddler Center next door walk by our house holding hands all bundled up as I have some morning coffee. I miss late-night editing room insanity sessions with DV, KP, and JB. I miss the film stockroom. l miss playing the Steinways in the practice rooms in the music building. I miss the sweet potato fries from the cafeteria. I miss the ethiopian tofu over arepas from Twisted Soul. I miss D's squash and kale soup. I miss drinking Manhattans and Gin Fizzes and Mojitos on Friday nights over Apples to Apples or Scrabble. I miss climbing out of my window with my laundry because the laundry room was only 2 meters away from my room. I miss my lovely, huge room at the end of the hallway in our house - decorated with film posters and my b&w photographs. I miss the smell of S's eggplant curry after a long day at the college. I miss J's fresh-baked whole-wheat honey bread with butter at 2 am. I miss the smell of the maple syrup being cooked on our stove in the spring. I miss sitting on the log over the creek behind our house with N - the log I was finally able to cross on my own at the end of the year. I miss our real Christmas tree / Hanukkah bush / Animist tree / Daoist tree / Agnostic Tree / Pagan tree decorated with Stars of David, and Christmas ornaments and scrunchis and beer bottle tops and lights. I miss eating M's matzo during passover. I miss having Kit Kats and Reeses mini peanut butter cups for breakfast for a week after Halloween...well, maybe not that one...that one was pretty bad. I miss brie and crackers every Friday. I miss J's fish tacos. I miss M's tuna croquettes. I miss the epic parties we threw - Halloween, my birthday... I miss our log table on the porch. I miss eating dinner on the porch while enjoying the sunset and the fine company of my beloved friends.
Maybe I just miss my friends.
Just wanted to say: I love y'all to bits, and miss you like hell.
Peace!

1 comment:

  1. I guess intense nostalgia was the only downside of fashioning the most extravagant and extraordinary senior housing on campus. I miss all of that stuff too. I miss sitting at our porch-bar eating lunch while watching house sparrows peck at the bird feeder. I miss the hammocks. I miss the red star lamp and Stevie Ray Vaughn's "Tin Pan Alley" at the end of a busy day. I miss doing all the dishes you made while whipping up the best food I had in college. Most of all I miss the constant company of the finest troupe of friends.

    ReplyDelete