Sunday, August 21, 2011

Malamados

So I got into a pretty bad discussion with a friend yesterday and decided to take my mind off of it by baking. Cooking and baking and exercising are usually my go-to activities when I feel particularly stressed or upset. Yesterday I decided to make for the second time, these Cherry Mud Cupcakes that I found in a cupcake book I bought way back when I was in college and spotted the book on sale at B&N for $3. I´ve made them before, and they came out really well so I decided to give them a second shot but also decided to experiment a bit with them.
The recipe actually calls for 1/4 cup of Cherry Liquor, but lacking in Cherry liquor and feeling a little bit more alcoholic than usual, I substituted that for 3/4 cup of equal parts Malamado (a Malbec fortified wine from Argentina. Very nice stuff) and Whiskey. I wasn´t sure how they´d come out, but I figured that my brother and his friends could wolf down the batch if anything went wrong. Thankfully, it didn´t. It actually came out really well. And now I am going to call these cakes "Malamados" (which is a mash of the phrase Mal Amados meaning "Ill-loved").
I covered them with dark chocolate ganache which I added a decent splash of Malamado to as well. Delicious!
Here they are:

The Minis I made:


And the full-sized:


The brown stuff around the big ones is the Ganache. The unfortunate side-effect of adding Malamado to the Ganache is that the Ganache doesn´t completely emulsify, so I had to sort of pour the ganache over the cupcakes to sort of decorate them. But consistency set aside, that ganache is pretty damn awesome. It also makes a really delicious Chocolate-Malamado Ice Cream.

0 comments:

Post a Comment