Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Restaurant Review #7: Topolobampo

Restaurant Name: Topolobampo
Location: 445 North Clark Street, Chicago, Illinois 60654
Kind of Food: Mexican Gourmet
Price Range: $25 - $90 per person (tasting menu anyone? I know I was tempted....)

What I ordered: Trio Trio Trio (cebiche fronterizo, cebiche yucateco, seaside cocktail), Eggplant enchiladas, Classic Margarita.

Comments: I was REALLY tempted by the tasting menus. They sounded incredible. The price for one of them (around $90) was offputting, but the thing that really drove me away from them was the amount of pork in the dishes. Really, my allergies can be a pain in the butt sometimes when out on culinary adventures. I settled instead on the Trio Trio Trio as an appetizer and the Eggplant enchiladas as an entree. The Trio Trio Trio was absolutely fabulous. Spicy and infused with lime, the seafood tasted and felt fresh and refreshing - sending me on a 5 minute culinary vacation to the Mayan riviera even though I´ve never really set foot in Mexico. I was also big fan of Trio Trio Trio because it reminded me of traditional Ecuadorian cebiche and some of the interesting haute cuisine variations I´ve tasted on it (kiwi-based cebiche is surprisingly blissful) and so it tasted a bit like home. The Eggplant Enchiladas, while less exciting, were innovative and flavorful. I got nothing in the semblance of a tortilla anywhere in the dish. The eggplant was cut to slices so thin that they themselves were the tortilla keeping a small pile of vegetables and eggplant and mole in a little roll. Delicious and just the perfect size to be full but not stuffed. I must say the Margarita helped with the experience. While the flavor of it was nothing really exceptional, it packed a punch, and delivered - and I can also say that I could tell it was quality tequila, which is something that the average Margarita usually lacks.
Topolobampo was a fantastic experience in Chicago, although I would recommend making reservations in advance.

1 comment:

  1. mmm, ceviche. i think you need to review some breakfast next!

    ReplyDelete