Friday, December 24, 2010

书法是最好的圣诞节礼物 (Chinese Calligraphy makes great Christmas presents)

I bet y'all didn't know I'm a pretty decent calligrapher! I actually really love calligraphy in general since I was introduced to it when I took Design in my senior year of high school (a class that overindulged my OCD-like tendencies for detail craftmanship). I got to learn proper Chinese Calligraphy (or 书法) while I spent a good 3 months on the college language program in Qingdao, China and came back with a full set of Chinese calligraphy brushes, a mat, authentic Chinese rice paper, a traditional inkbowl, and a traditional Chinese seal with my Chinese name written on it in traditional characters plus the red ink for the seal. I really love that seal. And I like going around stamping it on things :D. I practice some calligraphy every now and then, and now I'm pretty decent at it. What I like about it is that it looks really easy and simple, but actually is quite the artform that requires a lot of skill and concentration. I find it super-relaxing, but unfortunately when I do get around to practicing it, I lose track of time, do it for like 4 hours and then get carpel-tunnel. Ha.
Anyways, given that I'm basically broke and unemployed, I can't really afford the nicer gifts I usually get my extended family. So I decided to make some. I looked through the 道德经 (Dao de Jing) and picked out a passage specific for every person and then set about making scrolls with them. I think they came out really nice. It was also my first time inking traditional characters which are much more complex than the simplified ones I'm used to. There's something beautifully poetic in them though.

Anyways, I just thoughts I'd wish everyone out there some very Happy Holidays. I hope you enjoy your Christmas meal (I know I will be chowing down tamales and turkey like there's no tomorrow!).

Much love from Ecuador!

1 comment: