Thursday, July 22, 2010

Nostalgia

I'm feeling somewhat nostalgic today. I was reading J and D's blogs and it got me thinking about how much I miss being up in the Hudson Valley. Quito (and Ecuador) is really a beautiful place, somewhere that is definitely worth visiting at least once in your life. I love the mountains here. I missed them while I was abroad. But I think I like the landscape of the Hudson Valley more in general. I miss the trees and the creeks that run through campus. And the ducks. And the heron that lived in the woods behind our house. I wish I had been brave enough to be able to cross the log over the creek alone without N's help. I wish I could lay in the dandelion-filled grass clearing deep in the college's farm. I miss the fall leaves that turn such beautifully vivid shades of red and orange and yellow. I miss listening to "Alice's Restaurant" while driving to Pennsylvania for Thanksgiving with N's family. I miss the snow and the cold bite of the winter wind and warm apple pie made from Hudson Valley apples. I miss having hot tea in the winter while huddling on the sofa with a book. I miss playing guitar out in the fresh grass in the Spring. I miss drinking coffee from Adam's or the Cubbyhole. I miss tasty Tuesdays from Twisted Soul. I miss the heirloom tomatoes at the farmer's market and the midnight strolls around Sunset lake. I miss playing Scrabble and Parcheesi over a few glasses of wine on Friday nights. I miss the long discussions on social constructs or the evolution of languages. And I miss my friends. Dearly.
Over the past four years, the Hudson Valley became home for me and I'm sad that I won't be back for more than a visit for at least a year. I think that once I have enough money, I'm going to find a place there to settle down permanently. I think I'd like living a quiet life in the Hudson Valley as I think that I'm going to need a safe haven to decompress in between film gigs.
But until then, I'll admire the mountains from my window. They really are quite breathtaking.

0 comments:

Post a Comment