Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Post-Grad Woes

I graduated two months ago (say it isn't so!) from a "highly selective, residential, liberal arts college located in the heart of the Hudson Valley in New York State" (anyone want to take a guess at that one?) and, like most of us unfortunate members of the class of 2010 of any college found myself jobless and adrift in the world. I made my way to Amsterdam to visit my aunt for a while, hoping to find some bearings. I sat in the Leidseplein, drank many pints of Strongbow, walked from the Zeedijk back to the Oud Zuid, went to see Van Gogh again, ate too many Dutch fries, wore a ridiculous orange wig at my cousin Bas's behest while watching The Netherlands play soccer in the world cup, and then hopped on a plane back to Quito in order to defend my screenplay in front of a committee in hopes of winning an $8000 grant. That's where I am now. Grantless, and certainly penniless but maybe not jobless.
Well, sort of. So here goes everything.




"Andean Galaxy" by E (September 2011)
The photo in the header is the view from Café Mosaico at Ichimbía in Quito on a clear, crisp late summer night. A lovely view of the endless sprawling lights of the city against the Andes. In the horizon, note the presence of the Virgen del Panecillo, (a huge statue of the Virgin Mary that kindly watches over the city) and the lights of the domed copulas of the colonial city center.
Taken with the iPhone 4 camera with the NightCamera app.














"Andean Dawn" by E (February 2011)
The photo in the header is the view from my window in Quito right before dawn. It is one of my favorite sights. The sun creeps in behind the Andes, turning the sky into an array of purple, then pink, then orange, then yellow light as the fog slowly lifts up towards the sky. The lights scattered around the valley are slowly extinguished as the dawn grows. On clear summer days, in the absence of fog, you can see a few of the Snow-Capped mountains looming in the distance. It is always the perfect beginning of a new day.




"No Words Necessary" by E (April 2011)
The photo in the header are my two very good friends M and S as they were taking in some fresh air and discussing the latest news on the New York Rangers (they´re both Hockey fans). But despite the banality of what was really going on, I like the essence of the picture that reflects two good friends sharing a moment as Spring slowly creeps back into the landscape in Burlington, Vermont.
Taken with the iPhone 4 camera.














0 comments:

Post a Comment